Simonstown Junior Cs Bow Out in Quarters

Simonstown Junior Cs Bow Out in Quarters

Duleek Bellewestown 4-11(23)
Simonstown Gaels 0-10(10)

Simonstown Gaels played the Junior C quarter final vs Duleek Bellewstown today in Skryne. The conditions were very wet which resulted in some very tricky handling. The Gaels started very bright with 3 unanswered points but Simonstown struggled with high balls throughout the game. Each of Duleek’s goals were a result of free kicks dropping short and Duleek winning the ball in the danger zone. Simonstown’s lack of communication in the back line caused confusion and was the significant factor in the scoreline looking so one-sided. The Gaels never gave up and were led by Seán Conlon who was very impressive in the midfield. Conlon’s and Alan Meade’s aerial presence was a huge advantage for Simonstown in the game.  But at half time the Navan side had a huge task ahead of them with the scoreline at Simonstown 0-5 Duleek 2-8

This task proved to be insurmountable and Simonstown failed to cut the defecit by less than 6 points at any stage of the second half. Simonstown were feeling a sense of deja vu with the third and fourth goals, each goal dropping short and being won by the Duleek forwards. The saying goals win matches was very true in this game.

However the Gaels can take a lot of solace out of this year which was a huge improvement from last year. The camaraderie created in the dressing room is what the GAA is all about. Well done lads, you did the club proud over the last few months. Special thanks to Barry Flanagan who managed the team this year, this is Barry’s last year. We wish you luck in your future endeavors. Best of luck also to Duleek Bellewstown in the semi final.

Evan Burlingham, Barry Fox, Paul Gorman, Mick Fitzpatrick, Terry Shields, Willie Stynes, Kyle McEvoy, Paul Meade, Alan Meade, Seán Conlon, Andy Faulkner, Mark Larkin, Keith Brady, Andy Kearney.

Subs used: Andrew Burlingham, Gary McDonagh, Daniel Molloy Battigan, Stephen Dillion

Share This